Demolition begins!

I took the week off while Ms. K is on the west coast helping her mom recover from surgery. I started the day by putting builder paper on the floor to protect the Marmoleum.


Then, I moved onto removing fixtures:


Onto the walls. The tile in the shower was set in cement backer board. Despite my best attempts to remove large sections of tile and backer together, it came apart in fractured chunks. Elsewhere, it was easy: the tile was set on drywall and came up without a fight.




The tub was well past its prime and had to go. Rather than trying to save it and pull it out as one piece, I cut it up, using my Sawzall with a carbide-tipped blade. I put the pieces next to the Bagster, and within 20 minutes, one of the local scrap metal recyclers had claimed it as his own and hauled it away.




Slowly but surely, I filled the Bagster at the curb with debris, two buckets at a time. By the end of the day, my Garmin watch indicated I burned 3900 calories and made about 13000 steps. I believe it. I'm beat!

I have a little more cleanup to do tomorrow, then it's on to electrical and plumbing work. With the walls opened today, I have confidence in my ability to rewire the bathroom myself.

Comments

  1. "using my Sawzall with a carbide-tipped blade" good lord! How loud was THAT???

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment