Wall tile

With the floor down, it's now time to plan for the wall tile. This effort took a few weeks to wrap up, given that I had a couple of work trips interspersed.

I started out by making a story pole to keep track of where all the tile pieces were supposed to go. This pole represents the height of the chair rail and pencil moulding that will go around the room, outside the shower enclosure.


With the story pole and laser level, I was able to mark around the room where I should install the temporary ledgers to hold the first course of tile.


I started the tile adventure on the back wall of the shower enclosure, in what proved to be the most difficult section to tile: around the window. I put up the ledger board first, following my laser lines:.


...and then I proceeded to mix up a batch of mortar and get to tiling. I got as far as I could before I lost energy on a work night. It would have been nice to finish the back wall in bunk of work, but alas.


I made more progress the next night.


Then, over the next days and week, I finished the rest of the room.


I'm approaching the end here: tiling around the tub and setting the last few courses of tile (and moulding) towards the floor.


From start to finish, this took about two weeks. Mostly because I:
  1. work another full-time job; and 
  2. work slowly; and
  3. am very particular about my work.


Comments

  1. It is even better reading this after seeing the results in person! Love the pics of the process here.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment