Walls are up!

We have an appointment with our electrician on February 25. This provided the motivation to get the walls up so he can return to tie in the new circuits, add the junction for the fixture above the sink, and install the puck light in the tub.

Where we stand as of Sunday afternoon:
  1. GoBoard tile backer is installed
  2. Drywall is installed
  3. We are ready for the electrician
As nothing in our old house is plumb or square, I "wet shimmed" the tile backer to have a smooth, plumb, and flat surface on which to install the tile. Basically, the process is to apply a thick layer of thickly-mixed thinset mortar, tap the boards until they are flat, level, and plumb, allow the mortar to cure, then screw the boards to the studs. I learned of this technique from professional tilers and from Schluter Systems, manufacturer of Kerdi Board.

Aside: We planned to use Kerdi Board on our project, but due to supply chain challenges, we switched to use GoBoard from Johns Manville. It was available at Menards and somewhat less expensive.

Here's the process in progress:

Step 1: Apply thick layer of mud to studs



Step 2: Mash boards into mortar, tapping with a mallet and checking for flatness and plumb.


Step 3: Wait until mortar cures, then screw to retain.


By the end of the day on Saturday, I had the tub surround buttoned up. Lots of trips up and down the stairs while cutting and fitting the backer board around the tub. Getting everything to line up with the plumbing stub-outs on the east wall took some work. I messed up one piece of backer in the process. I can't explain where I went wrong, but it goes without saying: that board was unsalvageable. At the end of the day Saturday, the boards were up, mortar was curing and it was time to stop. 


Initial impressions on GoBoard: it's easy to work with, is very light, cuts without a ton of dust. My lone complaints are that the fiberglass fabric layers on the front and back are a little itchy to work with and that the fabric shreds to pieces marker tips and pencils.

Last week, I picked up a roll of unfaced insulation to quiet the drainpipe from the second story bathroom. Before I installed the backer board, I filled the wall cavity with insulation to help absorb noise.


By 2:00 PM, I had finished installing tile backer in the areas away from the tub. The cuts were all simple by comparison to plumbing cuts. I had enough daylight left to cut drywall. My new goal was to close up all of the walls before I quit for the day.

I achieved my goal.

There are still screws to drive, some patching to do (missed pulling a couple of nails that popped through the drywall; a plumbing fitting from the second floor bathroom is giving me some fits). But most importantly, the walls are up.



It's looking more like a bathroom. Soon, we'll install the medicine chest, finish sealing the GoBoard, and within a couple of weeks, be ready to set tile.


Comments