The frame-up

Today was framing day.

But before framing day could start, I had to make a plan. 

Around here, making a plan means using an out-of-date engineering workstation computer running a training version of PTC Creo and Visio 2007 (last version that was available through an employee purchase agreement). I had to figure out where the medicine cabinet would go and if the old chest we saved would fit in the new space.

Point 1: I'm sad to report the original medicine cabinet will not fit along the new "wet wall" of the bathroom

Point 2: I now have a woodworking project in the middle of the bathroom renovation: building a new vintage-inspired medicine cabinet

After some careful consideration, I made a plan, including a layout for the new medicine chest. I also figured out where all new studs would go and which ones had to come out. Working in Creo this morning was a good option, as I was able to figure everything out pretty quickly -- including a basic plan for the new cabinet.

With layout drawing in hand, I set out to work on the reframing project.


I spent the day going from the bathroom to my basement shop, cutting studs and getting everything to fit. A few hours later, everything was ready to go, including the niche for the new medicine chest. I even notched out for the new sink's required support! Fingers crossed the new sink arrives on time and undamaged.


The area where the laundry chute was is also framed in and ready for drywall and tile backer. A high priority this week is to put up drywall on the inside of the closet to separate the closet from the bathroom.


I burned through two carbide blades for the oscillating tools today cutting nails to pull out the unneeded studs. I used the battery tool for a while but then switched back to the corded one, just to keep from changing batteries too frequently.

Why the reframing? The existing condition was not great, to say the least. The old studs were notched to provide a resting place for the tub and tapered to fit. I'm glad we now have a solid and level surface to work from in the next stages of this effort.


On another note, we decided to hire out the drain line plumbing and have a contractor coming on Saturday to run the new drains and tie into the vent system. The electrician is scheduled for February 7. In a few short weeks, we should be ready to go on putting up drywall and backer board for tile. It's nice to see the project coming together.

Oh, that woodworking project? It's a pretty simple medicine chest. We can use a "stock" size beveled edge mirror to mimic what was in the room before. A little narrower, kind of tall and skinny. Simple 3/4" poplar with a back-band around the edge. We'll tile up to the cabinet once it's set in the wall.









Comments