Upgrading the bedroom floor

A project in photos.

The carpet in the owner's suite upstairs was put in place around 1989-90, we guessed, based on what we know of the house. It was very worn, very dusty, and just generally gross.

We were correct!

Prepared for dust and sawdust. (I was in charge of the miter saw outside.) Can you tell that I'm smiling?

We removed the carpet and carpet pad in stages.

Sometimes the wood floor underneath the carpet isn't worth saving!

See?

After removing the old carpet, carpet pad, and plucking out the staples, we sanded, primed, and painted (2 coats!) the pine baseboards and trim in the same white as the walls.


First stage of the new floor! Mr. H put planks in place, taking care to stagger the ends. When he handed me a few boards at a time to trim, I'd go downstairs and outside to the driveway to use the miter saw. Cut, cut, cut. Upstairs again. Repeat.

Mr. H. approves!


This is a prefinished white oak solid hardwood floor product from Home Depot. I love it. 

The walls need to be touched up in spots, but this project is mostly done!

We still haven't quite moved everything back into the room yet, so it feels a bit like a sparse AirBnB. It reminds me of the place we stayed in Copenhagen nearly 2 years ago. Very peaceful and calm, uncluttered. I like it. I have a feeling some things will ever make it back into the room. Shouldn't one's bedroom be an oasis from the world? 

Soon, Mr. H. will replace the yellowed plastic outlets, switches, and switch plates with new white ones, a swap he has made a standard change in every room we upgrade. He's so thorough! 

We are through with house upgrades for a while, Mr. H. says at least 6 months. He laughed when I said that I am now retired from major DIY home projects, but I'm not really kidding. The bathrooms were going to be next, but...we'll see!

Comments

  1. Oh my goodness! You guys do such good work. How many stairs did you climb for this project??? It looks outstanding. ...Changes the entire feel of the room. Time for some colorful area rugs? I'm wildly impressed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment