Making door and drawer parts (installment 1)

Earlier this week, my time was spent working on Christmas presents for Ms. K, so kitchen activities were not happening. Between yesterday and today, I spent a good portion of time in the workshop. My attention was on the cabinet doors and drawer fronts. There's plenty of work to be done!

I spent some time last weekend planing to thickness and straightening the rough-sawn lumber I picked up. Yesterday, I ripped that lumber to width and continued to cut to length for rails and stiles yesterday and today, using either the miter saw or the sliding cross-cut sled for the table saw as shown here:





Here's a cart full of stiles, ripped to 2 1/4" width and cut to length:



Once all of this lumber was ready to go, it was time to pull out the router and start to cut the cope joints in the rails. I picked up a Freud tongue-and-groove router bit set earlier this year in anticipation of this project. Today, I got the tongue bit dialed in to work with the plywood thickness for the center panel. After dialing in the router height, I was off to the races! (I also gave my coping sled a try. I built this earlier this summer for another project that never happened (new storm windows for the basement). It worked great!)

Coping sled makes coping with coping a pleasing experience.

We have to make 40 doors and drawer fronts (in total). This means making 80 rails and 80 stiles, plus 40 center panels. That's a lot of cutting and machining! Today, I cut through all 80 rails (to make the cope cuts). That's two cuts per rail, or 160 total cuts.

Here's a short video:


A lot of dust, noise, and repetition. I did this basic operation 160 times today. It's nice to have a place to do this. Ms. K couldn't hear all the noise as she worked in the totally opposite corner of the house in her craft room.


A view from above, getting ready to cut another stile:


Cutting a stile, in progress:


Today's time in the shop was longer than usual, so I opted to pull out the heavy duty P100 dust mask. It's super comfortable and does an amazing job of keeping away the tiny particles. Hooray for no sinus irritation! (As much as I love the smell of sawdust, I'd rather have a good night's rest!)


The end result: 80 prepared stiles, in 3" wide (for cabinet doors) and 1 1/2" wide (for upper drawers)


Next up: making stiles. Those should go pretty fast! Then, time to break down the Baltic birch plywood in the garage for the middle panels. Hooray!


Comments