Memorial Day weekend 2016

We are reaching the time of backyard enjoyment much earlier than we did last year! Today, Mr. H. installed the rain diffuser on the north side of the garage and planted the tomatoes we started from seed. He also replaced the rusted flavorizer bars on the gas grill (yes, that is the real name) and grilled brats for dinner. Yum.

I weeded the rhubarb patch and, with Mr. H's help, spread mulch in the shade bed and in the newly weeded area. After cleaning ourselves up, we lounged on the shaded patio and read. Very, very pleasant day!

Few outside chores remain for the duration of the weekend. More weeding, perhaps. I'm keeping the black plastic down under the lilac for another week or so to kill more grass before I sow the forget-me-not seeds. We might plant some collard or chard seeds. I might consider ideas for the area at the back of the house, which is still a work in progress. Otherwise, that's about it.

Tomorrow, Mr. H. is smoking a pork roast. I'm making corn relish and a lemon pie. Grilled cabbage will round out the meal. Roasting marshmallows in the evening for s'mores is definitely on the to-do list.

At this time in 2015, the back patio was still three weeks away. We were still working on landscaping the front yard. The square-foot beds were just barely taking off. I was eagerly awaiting my first peonies, checking them at least once a day. Tiny, tiny herbs had just been planted. Tonight, I cut fresh tarragon and thyme from those plants to have in our roasted vegetables.

It's been a good year.

Comments