Rhubarb: one last hurrah

I haven't had rhubarb in months. Garden experts say that you're not supposed to harvest after the spring season in order to give the plants enough time to store energy for the long winter months. Fair enough.

We've had a few frosty nights already this fall and one of them did a number on the backyard rhubarb. Yesterday morning when I looked out the window, I knew it was time to remove the stalks from the plants and prepare the area for winter. It didn't take long yesterday afternoon to pull or cut away the greenery.

I was able to save a few stalks! Some of the rhubarb, buried beneath the giant, wilted leaves, had been sheltered from the frigid air. This morning, I chopped it and cooked it down with cinnamon, water, a few tablespoons of brown sugar, and a pinch of salt. We spooned stewed rhubarb sauce over our porridge for a delicious breakfast.

Comments