New storm windows (step 2: fit windows)

Happy 100th post!

This spring, we knew work needed to be done on storm windows. Lots of damage, warping, and other problems. Until I stripped some paint from the front windows, I didn't know how bad things really were! Exhibit A:


If you recall a few weeks back, I posted this pile of rough-sawn poplar would become windows some day.



That day is finally here! I worked for a couple of weeks with one of my coworkers (who happens to be a former journeyman carpenter and pattern-maker and who also has an awesome home basement workshop). Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures of Step 1: build windows. I can assure you it was an enjoyable project, which has convinced me of the need to put together a wood shop of my own in our basement (preview of coming attractions, perhaps). We jointed, planed, shaped, sawed, BeadLOCKed, and sanded. I brought them home on Tuesday.

 Exhibit B: new window frame next to old window frame. Which is which?


I had to trim the windows to length and cut the bevel on the bottom (which I did inside) before going outside to do some of the work of fitting the windows to specific openings. First, I used the power planer to shave away material to fit the windows to width.


Then, I used the circular saw to cut a small amount off the end (about one kerf width).

The planer makes a lot of nice shavings, and for the planer being a kind of crummy model from Harbor Freight, it did an okay job. I had to plane about 1/8" off of each stile in order to fit into the openings.

First window sized and in place. Looking good.



After about 90 minutes of work, all four were sized appropriately and ready to go.


Lastly, I attached the exterior hanging hardware, marked them as to the window and position they pertain to, and proceeded to take them back down to the basement, for the final sand, knot filling, and glazing.

It's been colder lately. I was a bit chilly when working outdoors on this project today. We feel a bit of a draft in the living room when we sit down to relax in the evenings. Once these are put together and installed, all will be much better!

Comments

  1. This is very exciting, Mr. H! I can't wait to get those babies glazed, painted, and installed. (The front room is rather drafty these days...)

    Call me crazy and unappreciative, but I will also be happy to have the Great Window Project of 2015 come to a close.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment