Storm window repair

The storm windows, especially those on the east and west sides of the house, were in terrible condition. We didn't now how bad until we started working on them. 

To open one of the casement windows in the master bedroom which was stuck shut, I had to break the glass in the storm window and push the casement window open. I noticed immediately the overall poor condition of the wood, then determined what my next steps would be. 

I removed all the paint using a scraper and heat gun, to find the window was in pretty rough shape. The photo below shows the window after I had applied the LiquidWood to stabilize the failing joints. 




Lots of rot, material has disappeared, joints are very loose. Good thing the LiquidWood is holding things together.

I then applied WoodEpox to the lower rail and bottom portion of the stile on both sides to build back what disappeared.


This image shows about how much of the stile and had rotted away. Yikes.

I did the same work on the two storm windows in the bedroom plus the four storm windows for above the built-in china cabinet in the dining room. The rest weren't in as bad of condition as this one was!

Next stop: the fun of glazing windows.

Comments