Bulb-tastic!

The bulbs I ordered from Old House Gardens arrived! We spent a little time today putting some of them in the ground. 

At the encouragement of a very knowledgeable friend, I reserved a few bulbs to plant in the herb garden at the side of the house so I might have a bit of encouragement in early spring of good things to come. I made chart of the 110 bulbs I ordered and used it to plan where to put all of them. 

Click so you can actually read my crazy chart. 
Today's planting focus was the side bed in the front yard. 
Google Slides has lots of very helpful pre-defined shapes! 
I think you could make yourself crazy if trying to account perfectly for height, bloom time (early spring vs. late spring), color, variety, etc. My goal was pretty simple: have a little bit of interest in each part of each bed from early spring on. Color didn't matter so much, though I tried to avoid putting too much purple together.

We amended the soil with composted cow manure, top soil, and bone meal. It would have been nice to have peat moss, but the horrible big box home improvement store nearby didn't have any. We'll track some down before tackling the large front bed.

After planting the bulbs, Mr. H. cut a piece of chicken wire to fit over the area in an effort to save the future beauties from eager squirrels looking for an easy meal. We ended up with four separate bulb areas, so he cut four pieces of chicken wire. We covered the chicken wire with dirt. All of this took about an hour.

I hope this works! I know it's WAY TOO EARLY for such sentiments, but I'm very excited for spring!

Comments