Preserving herbs

I don't have patience to dry herbs, nor do I really see the point of it. Penzeys is practically down the street and their offerings are so reasonably priced that it seems a waste of my time to even bother drying my own. (A small price to pay, literally, for getting their fantastic catalog! Better than some magazines!) However, I am not a total herb profligate: in previous seasons, I have steeped herbs to make infused syrups for use in alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, folded fresh herbs into butter and stashed the mixture in the freezer, and pureed my way to pesto.

This week, I tried something different.

Soylent green is...chives!
I whacked a quantity of chives from the exceedingly healthy plant, threw them into the Vitamix with a small amount of water, and blended the hell out of them. My effort yielded 12 vibrant green frozen cubes ready to flavor soups and stews throughout the winter. I did the same with thyme. So far, I like this method! It's fast, easy, and not at all fussy, perfect for one (me) who is too lazy to separate quite all of the thyme leaves from the stems and twigs. (Extra flavor, right?)

I would have shared a photo of the thyme cubes as well, but they are a bit muddy - not as bright green. (Duh - that's what happens when you blend the woody bits of plants.) I hope my laziness doesn't compromise the flavor. I guess we'll find out in, oh, three months or so.

Also, the two ice cube trays are now forever reserved for freezing herbs. They are permanently green!

Comments