Other mysteries of the garden

We moved into this house last July and didn't really pay much attention to the things growing in the yard. The summer slipped away with illnesses, trips, and overall busyness. The 40' blue spruce and spent yews in the front with creeping charlie taking over in the back...it was hard to see past any of that. 

Now that we are paying attention and things have calmed down a bit, we notice new things when we walk around, things we did not plant yet here they are. 

A variety of centaurea. Coincidentally, before we knew we had one in the back, we picked a variety of centaurea for the front bed! Aren't they spectacular?  


We picked centaurea "Gold Bullion" from Bluestone Perennials for the front bed. No blooms yet, but it looks very healthy so far. 

We also have Lily of the Valley, a nice surprise. 



This is not a mystery: I planted the chives myself last year in a pot; however, I did NOT expect the chives to come back after spending the winter on the front porch! Surprise!



This is a mystery only in that Mr. H. procured a box of purple seed potatoes at the grocery store of all places, and they are actually growing. We have six hills of purple potatoes growing along the stone fence behind the square-foot beds.


I don't know why I expected the $2.99 box of potatoes to be worthless, but I did. Shame on me!

Comments