Herb garden, freshly weeded!

Mr. H. and I had a reversal of roles this morning: I spent it outside tending the yard and he was inside working on the bathroom redo.

I weeded the herb garden and put down a layer of wood chip mulch. If you remember, this area was all bricks a few months ago. We removed the bricks, worked in compost, peat moss, and vermiculite into the ground, and then planted some herbs for easy access right outside the kitchen door. I hastily threw down a brick pad to cut down on the tracking of mud into the house by Lucy. She tends to cut corners. Today, I firmed up the brick pad a bit: used sand for a base, nestled the bricks into it, and swept sand into the cracks. Mr. H. kindly jumped on it several times to shake down the sand. Good job, buddy!
Chives and a newly secured brick pad (and dirty, wet gloves!).

Left to right: tarragon, lemon balm, thyme.

I weeded the front side bed and put down a thin layer of compost, working some of it in but leaving some on the surface. I also added a few stepping stones (ha ha - flagstones from the patio: the gift that keeps on giving!). The cosmos seeds I planted are looking very promising with their telltale feathery leaves!

The front bed: it looks better in person - I promise! The cosmos are here and there, probably not visible in the picture. 

Today's weed haul.

Comments

  1. Don't let that lemon balm flower or you can say goodbye to your herb garden. All you'll have is lemon balm, lemon balm, lemon balm. Don't say I didn't warn you. And you'll want to get a cage for that tarragon-- if it's not already huge, by next year it'll be falling all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To reiterate, if it comes down to watching TV after work or cutting off the lemon balm flowers with a flashlight, go find a pair of scissors and load fresh batteries into the flashlight.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment