A new front planting bed

When we had the garden tiller yesterday, I asked Mr. H. to dig up a patch of grass in the front for another flowerbed. He obliged me. What a guy!

This bed extends from the blueberry area toward the street. I raked out the big pieces of grass and then added a bag of compost and some peat moss to the dirt.

Hi, Mr. H! Enjoying our bargain Bliffert Hardware Adirondack chairs?
I had my heart set on filling this bed with Russian sage (well...ever since a walk this morning put the idea in my head), but a trip to Kellner's this afternoon turned me in a different direction. No Russian sage but their perennials were 4 for the price of 3, so I decided to settle for what they had on hand.

Wulfen's alyssum (on the left) has a spread of 20", so it will fill out the end nicely. I can't wait to see the hot pink flowers on the 'Grande Parade' bee balm (monarda didyma).


Two purple coneflowers (echinacea) and one Alaska shasta daisy (leucanthemum) toward the house end of the bed.



I will fill the spaces with dianthus, currently tiny seedlings in pots.

I spent $23 on everything, not bad for plants of a fairly decent size. I was also able to keep with the color theme for the front yard (no red or orange) by sticking with plants that will eventually sport yellow, white, pink, and purple flowers.

Comments