Other backyard happenings

Peonies were in place when we bought the house. I remember the beautiful hot pink flowers in the skinny bed on the south side of the garage when we looked at this house last May for the first time. This bed is fairly shady, but I know it's a good spot for them because I saw those blooms myself. (I'm now remembering how these bushes couldn't support the weight of the flowers. Note to self: add cages soon!)


There are also peonies in the sunniest spot in our yard - right by the square-foot beds in the back. The neighbors on the north side remember some pretty light pink flowers in our back yard, so I hope they were talking about these peonies. They had faded before we saw the place. You can see that these shoots are really so much taller than the others! The flowers might flame out because it's so sunny here - we'll see how things go and can always move them to a better location. I read that peonies don't transplant well, so I'll just have to think about what to do here. 


I love peonies - they were one of my "must" flowers when we were in the stages of house planning last year and talking about all of the things we wanted to have in a future yard, thinking that we would probably start with a blank slate. I couldn't believe that the top house in our search had them! A good omen, to be sure. 

The rhubarb continues to grow and grow. I can't wait to harvest some but read somewhere that the stalks must be at least 10" long before you start to hack them off (or pull them out - depending on technique). Not quite there yet. Almost! 
I'm going to devote an entire folder to only rhubarb recipes! (I might need a second plant. A third?)
This unwieldy thing is a lilac. Maybe. Right now it is not very effective at hiding the charcoal grill. It really should try harder. (I should be more grateful; perhaps that will come when I smell the flowers for the first time.)
Lilac bush? 
This planter was in the backyard when we moved in, dumped unceremoniously by the short, asymetrical, triangle-shaped, ornamental pine shrub that used to live behind the square-foot beds. (Now it waits by the curb waiting for the chipper. The shrub, not the planter.) I don't know if it is supposed to sit on the two pedestals we found behind the garage, but we thought we'd give it a try. Not sure what to stick in here yet. 

Blank slate for now.

Comments