Exterior paint colors

I don't know why there are so many paint colors. When we were painting the interior throughout the fall, we were completely overwhelmed and ended up painting 15 sample swatches on the dining room wall. Fools.



My favorite ad in the back of Old House Journal is the for the company that has developed 15 period-appropriate paint colors for the historic home. Only 15? Sounds perfect.

This time, when picking colors for the exterior of the house, we limited the potential palette to the choices in the Sherwin-Williams American Heritage brochure. We won't be changing the color of the bricks, so this limited our choices even further. Excellent.

What do you think about Bunglehouse Blue?
You can see it - the top of the window on the right. I painted a sample when replacing the storm windows with screens today because these babies are toast. (Hint: Guess what the next major expense will be!) 
Yeah, that's what we think, too. Bunglehouse Blue for the storm windows, shake siding on the dormers, and other accents. Antique White for the window frames and miscellaneous trim. I hope it won't look too nautical because there's no way I'm I adding a decorative anchor to the front yard.

Comments

  1. I love Mrs. Blanding. That's a precious clip for anyone who's been tasked with choosing paint colors and found themselves lacking. (Read: Me.)

    So-- the blue is only for the storms, and the antique white will extend around it? Not too stripey? --Like I would know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope not too stripey! We walked around the neighborhood several times with the paint brochure in hand looking at houses we liked, and they usually had a strong color on the storms with a lighter color surrounding them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment