Floors: Day 4

With the floor refinish complete, the last "tools required" step was to reinstall the quarter round. Before taking on that task, Ms. K and I wanted to try to rejuvenate and brighten the aged wood trim in the living room. Everything was intact when we bought the house, but for the lack of maintenance, the wood trim was a little dull.

Enter Howard Restor-A-Finish. I had been reading about this product and had seen advertisements in magazines. It almost seemed too good to be true. Wipe this magic product on to an old finish, let it rest for a while, and then wipe it off. Presto! Revitalized finish! The manufacturer recommends following up with their "Feed-N-Wax" product to bring conditioning oils back to the wood as well.  

I made an early morning trip to Menards in search of "Dark Oak" Restor-A-Finish. I was in luck! With that and the Feed-N-Wax in the cart (plus a few other items), I was in business.

And what a difference the Restor-A-Finish makes! On the right, the rejuvenated finish; on the left, the existing. Wow!

What a difference!

I wiped down all the baseboards and quarter-round this morning. After a suitable wait time, I put all the quarter-round pieces back where they belonged and nailed them in using 23 gauge headless pins. The pin nailer uses very fine wire nails with no heads. I was worried the finish nailer or brad nailer would split the very old, very dry trim. No splits with these super tiny pins. You can barely tell where the nails were put in! I was amazed at how quickly the quarter round install went. Then again, there was no cutting, trimming, or fitting: everything went right back where it belonged (because I marked everything when I pulled it up!)

Installing quarter-round

It's nice to be done with this job! All that's left is bringing rugs back up sometime next week!

Ahh, back to normal.

Comments