Tomato bounty

Ms. K. and I spirited off to Minnesota last weekend. I went to my hometown first and after my visit up north, picked Ms. K. up at the airport in Minneapolis to see the State Fair. We focused on seeing the Horticulture Building, in addition to the Arts and Crafts and various animal buildings. The usual suspects of fair attractions were there:
  • Largest boar. Check.
  • Largest pumpkin. Check.
  • Largest sugar beet. Check.
  • Jam aplenty. Check.
  • Corn contest. Check.
  • Dahlias in abundance. Check.
  • Seed art. Check.
Here are just a few pictures, to give more inspiration. I have a soft spot for the maroon-and-gold flowers (in the color of my alma mater...)






A good time was had by all! Alas, the time away looking at produce grown by others made us forget briefly about the plants we had in the garden at home. Ms. K. suggested I do something about the tomatoes this afternoon. As the grill was warming up for dinner, I started harvesting and kept harvesting until all the ripe fruits were picked. Here's what I ended up with tonight:




Nearly 11 pounds of Costoluto Genevese had ripened since we last picked tomatoes a week earlier. Most of the fruit was ripe at the same time (amazing, right?). These are awaiting canning this weekend. Soon, some of the other tomatoes (like the San Marzano) should be ready to go into the canner as well. Late summer is fun.



Comments

  1. I think we will have to embark upon the competitive growing of pumpkins from our yard in Shorewood next year. The only challenge will be getting a large pumpkin out of the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You weren't gone for that long! How did 10 pounds of tomatoes ripen since last week?? I did my very best to eat the ones on the counter that we picked before you left, but I didn't check the plants for new tomatoes after your departure. Good heavens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are not growing pumpkins in our garden. We are not.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment